Cheesy Southwest Chicken Soup Recipe – Comforting soup filled with chicken, onions, peppers, black beans, corn, and finished off with a little cream to give it that extra little something!
Well hello friends and hello winter! So glad it could finally show up, so I could feel good about bringing you all a warm and cozy soup recipe. We finally saw some cold temperatures this past week. Of course, this was after we had our 80 degree warm and muggy Christmas down here in Louisiana. The thought did cross my mind to crank my air way down to 50 in the house, so I could at least pretend we needed to sit cozy by the fire on Christmas Eve.
So now that it has finally arrived, we are happily enjoying it. Give me about a month and I’ll be done with the cold stuff though. I love our warmer climate down here (just not on Christmas…grrr…). Don’t worry though. We still had hot chocolate and warm gumbo while we pretended it was cold outside. Some traditions cannot be broken.
I hope you all had a blessed few weeks. In case you missed it, I did wrap up the year 2015 with some reader favorite recipes and some personal favorite recipes. They are both full of great stuff! But I couldn’t wait to get back to you guys with some recipes!
I am still in the middle of my kitchen remodel, but there is a light at the end of the tunnel. I can’t wait to show you guys the little renovation that has been over a year in the works! Hopefully I can post about it soon! I also have a few other things in store for 2016 that I’m super excited about too!
So onto this soup! I am a total lover of all things Southwest flavored! This soup is extra comforting because it is finished off with a little cream and some shredded jack cheese. Plus I love adding the tortilla chip floaters on top for that little crunch!
It’s perfect for this burst of cold weather! Enjoy!
- 4 tbsp butter
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 small green bell pepper, chopped
- 1 poblano, seeds removed and chopped
- 1 4 oz. can diced green chiles
- 1½ tbsp chili powder, divided
- 1½ tsp cumin, divided
- 3 tbsp flour
- 1 quart chicken broth
- 3 boneless skinless chicken breasts, chopped in 1 inch pieces
- 1 tsp creole seasoning or seasoned salt
- ½ cup heavy cream
- 1 cup corn (canned or frozen)
- 1 cup black beans (canned)
- Topping: Shredded Jack cheese, cilantro or green onions
- Tortilla chips
- In a large pot, heat butter and olive oil over medium-high heat.
- Add onions and peppers. Saute for about 10 minutes. Season with 1 tbsp chili powder, and 1 tsp cumin.
- Add green chiles and saute for a few more minutes.
- Add flour, stir to combine, and cook for 1 minute.
- Slowly add in broth while stirring. Bring to a boil.
- Add chicken, seasoned with remaining chili powder and cumin and creole seasoning. Boil for about 15 minutes.
- Reduce heat to medium and add corn, black beans, and heavy cream. Cook for about 10 more minutes. Taste to season.
- To serve: Spoon soup into a bowl. Add some tortilla chips, shredded cheese, and cilantro and/or green onions.
Other recipes you might like:
Here some kitchen tools perfect for some soup making soon!