Shrimp and Corn Soup – A great Louisiana soup recipe with a tomato base.
Hey everyone! It’s time for another Cajun Cookin’ post where I show you guys a little bit of my Cajun culture. Down here shrimp are very plentiful, so we pretty much put them in everything. When it begins to cool down, or as we like to say, have a little “Gumbo Weather,” my family sometimes makes this Shrimp and Corn Soup instead. Now we all love our gumbo, but every now and then we like a little change.
Think of this as a Cajun vegetable soup. It’s so good with crackers, and it will be perfect for the upcoming chilly nights.
Shrimp and Corn Soup
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion, diced
- 2 stalks celery, diced
- 1/2 bell pepper, diced
- 1 tsp Creole Seasoning or seasoned salt, DIVIDED
- 1 14.5 oz can sliced stewed tomatoes
- 1 14.5 oz can petite diced tomatoes
- 1 15 oz can tomato sauce
- 4 heaping teaspoons of tomato paste (almost a 6 oz can)
- 32 oz chicken broth
- 5 cups water
- 3 large red potatoes, peeled and cut into large chunks
- 2 lbs. shrimp, seasoned with 1 1/2 tsp creole seasoning ( I used 71 to 90 count-frozen and peeled)
- 1 1/2 cups frozen corn
- Heat olive oil in a large soup pot with a heavy bottom.
- Add diced vegetables and 1/2 teaspoon of seasoning and saute for about 10 minutes.
- Add stewed tomatoes, diced tomatoes, tomato sauce, tomato paste, and other 1/2 teaspoon of seasoning. Stir.
- Add broth and water and bring to a boil.
- Reduce to a simmer for about 20 minutes.
- Add potatoes, corn, and shrimp. Bring back up to a simmer over medium to medium high heat for another 30 minutes.Taste and season more if necessary. Continue to cook until potatoes are tender.
- Serve with crackers.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases. This helps us keep our blog running efficiently and allows us to create more recipes for you.
Other Cajun dishes:
Cajun Boiled Shrimp Baked Potato
Shrimp and Corn Soup (Another Version)
Christine @ A Sprinkle of This and That says
What a wonderful soup for those chilly days! Love that there is shrimp in it!
Rachel @ Baked by Rachel says
I’m always excited for soup season! This looks amazing!
Thanks Rachel! Me too!
This soup looks really good Jaren.
Hey Brenda!! Thank you!
Laura O @Petite Allergy Treats says
Mmm… Gumbo sounds really great right now with cooler weather.
Ashlyn @ Belle of the Kitchen says
I love that you share all of these amazing cajun recipes, Jaren. This soup sounds so good, and I have pretty much everything to make it except for the shrimp and potatoes. Think I’ll have to pick those up so I can make this soon! OH and I saw the top of your SNF post and I am so glad to hear you’re okay after that PB scare! Good thing you were able to get out of there and get to the pharmacy right away. Those allergies are no joke. I hope the rest of your weekend is relaxing and uneventful!
[email protected] says
My hubby would devour this soup!! I love the shrimp in it. 🙂 So perfect for chilly nights!
Yes it is great for cold nights! Thanks Jocelyn!
Des @ Life's Ambrosia says
Oooooh I am loving this soup! There are not nearly enough shrimp soups out there in my opinion.
I agree Des! Thanks for visiting!!