Well hello my friends! I’m back from a much needed little vacation and ready to give away another $325!! Today I’ve teamed up with a group of lovely bloggers to give you a chance to win a $325 Visa Gift Card just in time for Back-to-School!! Plus I’m bringing you one of the best cake recipes ever! I may or may not have eaten it for breakfast several days last week…
So yes, I’m fresh and rejuvenated from a little anniversary trip my husband and I took over the weekend. We celebrated 13 years!! It was a lovely trip just right down the street at the Golden Nugget Lake Charles. I love that we have two great resorts right in our town. They are filled with great pools, a spa, great restaurants, and of course a casino.
We haven’t taken a trip without kiddos in well over 2 years. I love that we didn’t have to do a lot of driving just to feel like we had escaped far away. That was probably one of the best parts. We ate at wonderful restaurants and sat out by the pool, and we just had the best time!!
Now I’m back and ready to spend one last week with all my kiddos at home. They start school next week. Where did the summer go??
So now for this cake! The inspiration for this cake came from a meeting I attended where I tried this fabulous dessert made by friend’s mother-in-law. I just knew I had to recreate one like it. I used my most FAVORITE white cake recipe ever from Recipe Girl. If you ever need a good white cake recipe, you must try this. It starts with a boxed white cake mix, and then you doctor it up with more flour, sugar, and SOUR CREAM. I’m all about that! Easy!
So I used that recipe as my base, and filled it with fresh chopped strawberries. I made it in a 13 x 9 pan and topped with a simple lemon glaze. The cake is so moist and stays moist for several days.
I didn’t mind eating it for breakfast either!
So I hope you enjoy it and don’t forget to enter for the $325 Visa Gift Card!!!
Sponsored by the following fabulous bloggers! Be sure to check out their blogs for some more fabulous inspiration!
Diary of a Recipe Collector – Or Whatever You Do – Cooking and Beer
Beyond Frosting – Recipe Runner – Julie’s Eats & Treats
House of Yumm – Bitz & Giggles – Petite Allergy Treats
Chez CateyLou – Mom Loves Baking – Mariah’s Pleasing Plates
Lemon Tree Dwelling – Yummy Healthy Easy – Food Faith Fitness
Belle of the Kitchen – Spoonful of Flavor – The Gunny Sack
I Dig Pinterest – The Cookie Writer – Lemons for Lulu – Maebells
- 1 18 oz. box white cake mix
- 1 1/3 cup all purpose flour, DIVIDED
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 3/4 tsp salt
- 1 1/3 cups water
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 cup sour cream
- 4 large egg whites
- 2 cups chopped fresh strawberries
- 1/3 cup powdered sugar
- 3 lemons, juiced
- 2-3 tbsp water
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk cake mix with 1 cup of flour, sugar, and salt.
- Add water, oil vanilla, sour cream, and egg whites. Beat until combined for about 2 minutes.
- Mix strawberries with remaining 1/3 cup flour. Stir 1 1/2 cups of strawberries into batter.
- Pour half of batter into a greased 13 x 9 pan. Sprinkle remaining strawberries over batter and pour rest of batter over them. Bake for 40 to 45 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.
- Allow cake to cool.
- Make glaze once cake is cooled. Whisk powdered sugar with lemon juice and 1 tbsp of water. If it is too thick to drizzle, then add 1 more tbsp at a time and whisk until it is thin enough to drizzle over entire cake. Let glaze set until mostly hardened and serve.
Looking for other great cakes with fresh fruit?