Instant Pot Mexican 16 Bean Soup – An easy Instant Pot recipe full of fiber and perfect for a healthy lunch or dinner.
Y’all know I love a good soup recipe! I started making this Instant Pot Mexican 16 Bean Soup earlier this spring in order to increase my fiber intake and have another healthy lunch alternative. It has recently become one of my favorite soup recipes to make.
I could eat soup year round, and I always try to have soup ready to eat in my freezer. It saves me from eating a less healthy option while we’re home. I love that it is super filling too!
It is so yummy with the pico topping too! It just adds this great freshness to the soup. Throw in a few tortilla chips, and I’m good to go!
Tips for Making Instant Pot Mexican 16 Bean Soup:
- I have used different bean varieties. Use whatever you can find. Sometimes, I use a 10 bean soup mix. Save the seasoning packet for another use.
- Need to cut back on calories even more? Skip adding the cheese. It will be thinner but still delicious.
- Don’t skip out on the fresh pico topping! It is so delicious in this soup! You can certainly buy pre-made pico at your grocery store as well.
- This soup freezes well too. I freeze mine in individual plastic containers.
- NO NEED TO SOAK YOUR BEANS OVERNIGHT! The instant pot is amazing like that:)
Instant Pot Mexican 16 Bean Soup
An easy Instant Pot recipe full of fiber and perfect for a healthy lunch or dinner.
- 20 oz 16 dry bean soup mix (discard seasoning packet)
- 1 yellow onion, diced
- 1 green bell pepper, diced
- 1 stalk celery, diced
- 1 zucchini, chopped into larger 1/2 inch chunks
- 10 oz mild Rotel (diced tomatoes with green chiles)
- 1 1/2 tsp creole seasoning
- 2 tsp chili powder
- 1 1/2 tsp cumin
- 1 pinch crushed red pepper flakes
- 4 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 4 cups water
- 1/4 cup shredded cheese
- 2 roma tomatoes, chopped
- 1/4 red onion, diced
- 2 tbsp chopped cilantro
- juice of 1/2 lime
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- Add beans, yellow onion, bell pepper, celery, zucchini, Rotel, seasonings, broth, and water to the Instant Pot.
- Program to cook on Manual for 45 minutes. Let it naturally release for about 5 minutes and then do a quick release. (Note: Instant Pot will take about 15 minutes to come to pressure before it starts to count down and cook).
- While cooking, make pico topping by mixing chopped tomatoes, diced red onion, chopped cilantro, lime juice, and kosher salt. Set aside.
- Stir in shredded cheese until well combined. Taste and season with a little more salt, if necessary.
- Serve topped with pico and a little more shredded cheese.
Different bean soup varieties can be used. Sometimes I use at 10 bean soup mix. No need to soak the beans overnight!
Follow on Instagram for More Recipes and Fun!!
Other soup recipes you might enjoy:
- Instant Pot Chicken, Bean, and Kale Soup
- Instant Pot Creamy Chicken Tortilla Soup
- White Bean Chicken Soup
- Mexican Chicken, Black Bean, and Sweet Potato Soup
You can find more MAIN DISH RECIPES HERE.
You can find ALL RECIPES HERE.
For more ideas, follow me on FACEBOOK, PINTEREST, INSTAGRAM, AND TWITTER.
Get FREE recipes delivered to you by email: SIGN UP HERE!
I missed when to put in the zucchini.
Sorry about that, Katie! It goes in at the beginning with the beans. I updated the recipe. This is one of my favorites!!
K O says
“10 mild Rotel (diced tomatoes with green chiles)”
I’m sure I’m reading something wrong here, but does your recipe actually call for ten cans of Rotel tomatoes? I love Rotel tomatoes, but that seems like an awful lot for a six quart Instant Pot.
Fixed that! Yes, that would be lot! It’s a 10 oz can.
Hannah Etsebeth says
So this is with dry beans right??
Hi Hannah! Yes, dry beans and no need to soak them overnight!