White Bean Chicken Soup – A healthy comforting soup recipe filled with chicken, Great Northern beans, green chiles, and tons of flavor! It’s a great recipe for dinner and for make-ahead lunches for the week! Plus, it’s low-carb and only 2 freestyle points!
I’m obsessed with soups lately, and this White Bean Chicken Soup is no exception. I’ve been making a batches of soup over the weekend and dividing it up into containers for my lunches for the week. Low carb soups like this one are really helping me lose a few pounds too!
Soups are a great way to have comfort food without all the calories. I always look forward to lunch too. I change up the recipe each week. This Skinny Chicken Vegetable Soup is another great one packed with veggies.
I start out my day with eggs, have a high protein yogurt for my morning snack, soup and fruit for lunch with another yogurt, and I finish off with some meat and veggies for supper. Basically, I’ve cut out the bread a lot lately. And I’ve seen a difference on the scale, which is nice leading into the holidays.
And cooking soups are so easy because all you do is throw things in the pot and let them simmer away!
I served mine with a few tortilla chips and a little shredded cheese. You can even top with a little sour cream too. Enjoy!
White Bean Chicken Soup Tips:
- This recipe can totally be made even easier in an Instant Pot!! I don’t use the olive oil or saute the veggies when I do this. It saves on calories too! Just put it all in the instant pot, stir, and cook for 15 minutes!
- You can even use frozen chicken breasts in your instant pot. Just cook for 20 minutes.
- This recipe is only 2 freestyle points. If you omit the cheese and chips, it’s only 1 point!
- It’s the perfect meal-prep recipe for your lunches and it freezes great! I freeze it in individual plastic containers and take the to work.
- Sometimes, I add three cans of beans rather than 2 if I have them on hand. It just makes it a little heartier and thicker.
- A rotisserie chicken really works well with this recipe!
White Bean Chicken Soup
White Bean Chicken Soup Recipe Type : Main Dish Author: Jaren Cook time: 45 mins Total time: 45 mins Serves: 5 to 6 servings
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 large onion, diced
- 1 3/4 tsp creole seasoning, divided
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 4 oz. can diced green chiles
- 1 1/2 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1/4-1/2 tsp red pepper flakes
- 32 oz. low-sodium chicken broth
- 2 15 oz. cans Great Northern beans, drained and rinsed*
- 3 boneless chicken breasts
- 2 tbsp chopped cilantro
- juice of 1/2 lime
- Optional for serving: tortilla chips, shredded cheese, sour cream
- *You can add 3 cans of beans instead of 2 for a little thicker soup.
- In a large pot or dutch oven, heat oil over medium-high heat. Add onion. Season with 3/4 tsp creole seasoning. Cook for about 7 minutes.
- Add garlic and green chiles and cook another 3 to 5 minutes.
- Add cumin, oregano, and red pepper flakes. Stir to combine.
- Add chicken broth and beans. Bring to a boil.
- Season chicken with 1 tsp creole seasoning and add it to pot. Once soup comes back to a boil, reduce heat to medium low and simmer for about 30 minutes covered.
- Remove chicken from soup to a plate. Let cool a few minutes and then shred with two forks.
- Using a masher, mash beans in pot a few times just to help thicken soup a little.
- Return shredded chicken back to pot and stir.
- Add cilantro and lime juice and stir.
- Serve warm with optional toppings.
- Instant Pot Instructions: Put all ingredients in Instant Pot and stir to combine. Cook on manual for 15 minutes. If using frozen chicken, cook for 20 minutes.
This soup is only 2 freestyle points on Weight Watchers.
Omitting the shredded cheese and tortilla chips brings it down to only 1 point.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases. This helps us keep our blog running efficiently and allows us to create more recipes for you.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 6 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 450Total Fat: 11gSaturated Fat: 3gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 7gCholesterol: 59mgSodium: 1208mgCarbohydrates: 53gFiber: 13gSugar: 11gProtein: 38g
Other recipes you may like:
I can’t wait to try making this!
Hi Carolyn! It’s so good! Thanks for visiting!
Richa Gupta says
Chicken Soup is my favorite anytime and this looks yum!
Lauren Novak says
This soup is delicious and easy a win-win situation. The only thing I would say is I only use one chicken breast because with all the beans and only 4 cups of broth that’s all it needs and sometimes when I’m in a hurry I just chop up the chicken and sauté it with the onions and seasonings much quicker but delicious soup recipe. Thank you.
Jocelyn (Grandbaby Cakes) says
This chicken soup looks amazing! I need a bowl of this like yesterday!! Thanks for sharing!!!
Megan @ MegUnprocessed says
Yum! White beans are the best, and they have so many good health benefits!
I’m interested in trying this but I don’t have creole seasoning. What do you recommend as a substitute?
Creole seasoning is basically my salt and pepper. You can just use that and add a little red pepper and garlic powder if you have it. Enjoy! Love this soup. In fact, I made it today!
I noticed that several of your soup recipes call for creole seasoning. Do you have a favorite?
Hi Rose! We use Tony Chacere’s. You can find it on Amazon here.
Hi! Do you happen to have the nutrition information for this? I hate to be that annoying person but I’m looking for the grams of carbs, fats and protein in this as well as the total calories per serving. Thanks
Hi Penelope! I put the nutrition information on the recipe. Making it in an instant pot cuts down a little on calories because I omit the oil. I also find the My Fitness Pal app to helpful. You can import recipes you find on blogs like mine and it will calculate nutrition information for you. I use it all the time. Thanks for visiting!
Can you cook make it in a crockpot?
Hi Sharon! Sorry for the delay in getting back to you with your question! Yes, you can make this in a crockpot. I would add all ingredients and cook on low for 6 hours.
Do you cook the chicken ahead of time or put it in raw? Thank you!
Hi Jessie! You use raw chicken. I do like to use a rotisserie chicken every now and then as well. This is one of my favorites!
michelle fox says
This maybe a silly question but do you cook chicken first? Thank you! cant wait to try this soup!!
Hi Michelle! Nope, you just cook it in the broth. You can also use a deboned rotisserie chicken too!
Made this several times. It is perfect!
Thanks Jennifer! It really is a favorite around here too!