White Bean Chicken Soup – A healthy comforting soup recipe filled with chicken, Great Northern beans, green chiles, and tons of flavor! It’s a great recipe for dinner and for make-ahead lunches for the week! Plus, it’s low-carb and only 2 freestyle points!
I’m obsessed with soups lately, and this White Bean Chicken Soup is no exception. I’ve been making a batches of soup over the weekend and dividing it up into containers for my lunches for the week. Low carb soups like this one are really helping me lose a few pounds too!
Soups are a great way to have comfort food without all the calories. I always look forward to lunch too. I change up the recipe each week. This Skinny Chicken Vegetable Soup is another great one packed with veggies.
I start out my day with eggs, have a high protein yogurt for my morning snack, soup and fruit for lunch with another yogurt, and I finish off with some meat and veggies for supper. Basically, I’ve cut out the bread a lot lately. And I’ve seen a difference on the scale, which is nice leading into the holidays.
And cooking soups are so easy because all you do is throw things in the pot and let them simmer away!
I served mine with a few tortilla chips and a little shredded cheese. You can even top with a little sour cream too. Enjoy!
White Bean Chicken Soup Tips:
- This recipe can totally be made even easier in an Instant Pot!! I don’t use the olive oil or saute the veggies when I do this. It saves on calories too! Just put it all in the instant pot, stir, and cook for 15 minutes!
- You can even use frozen chicken breasts in your instant pot. Just cook for 20 minutes.
- This recipe is only 2 freestyle points. If you omit the cheese and chips, it’s only 1 point!
- It’s the perfect meal-prep recipe for your lunches and it freezes great! I freeze it in individual plastic containers and take the to work.
- Sometimes, I add three cans of beans rather than 2 if I have them on hand. It just makes it a little heartier and thicker.
- A rotisserie chicken really works well with this recipe!
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 large onion, diced
- 1 3/4 tsp creole seasoning, divided
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 4 oz. can diced green chiles
- 1 1/2 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1/4-1/2 tsp red pepper flakes
- 32 oz. low-sodium chicken broth
- 2 15 oz. cans Great Northern beans, drained and rinsed*
- 3 boneless chicken breasts
- 2 tbsp chopped cilantro
- juice of 1/2 lime
- Optional for serving: tortilla chips, shredded cheese, sour cream
- *You can add 3 cans of beans instead of 2 for a little thicker soup.
- In a large pot or dutch oven, heat oil over medium-high heat. Add onion. Season with 3/4 tsp creole seasoning. Cook for about 7 minutes.
- Add garlic and green chiles and cook another 3 to 5 minutes.
- Add cumin, oregano, and red pepper flakes. Stir to combine.
- Add chicken broth and beans. Bring to a boil.
- Season chicken with 1 tsp creole seasoning and add it to pot. Once soup comes back to a boil, reduce heat to medium low and simmer for about 30 minutes covered.
- Remove chicken from soup to a plate. Let cool a few minutes and then shred with two forks.
- Using a masher, mash beans in pot a few times just to help thicken soup a little.
- Return shredded chicken back to pot and stir.
- Add cilantro and lime juice and stir.
- Serve warm with optional toppings.
- Instant Pot Instructions: Put all ingredients in Instant Pot and stir to combine. Cook on manual for 15 minutes. If using frozen chicken, cook for 20 minutes.
This soup is only 2 freestyle points on Weight Watchers.
Omitting the shredded cheese and tortilla chips brings it down to only 1 point.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases. This helps us keep our blog running efficiently and allows us to create more recipes for you.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 6 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 450Total Fat: 11gSaturated Fat: 3gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 7gCholesterol: 59mgSodium: 1208mgCarbohydrates: 53gFiber: 13gSugar: 11gProtein: 38g