Skillet Deep Dish Pizza – A perfect quick pizza idea for your family’s at home pizza night!
With this busy season of the year, I’ve been making this Skillet Deep Dish Pizza a lot lately. It is seriously so easy. I love using my black iron skillet for it too! This recipe is great for a week night too because you don’t have to allow for rise time on the pizza dough. Pizza yeast is so convenient!
Customize these any way your family prefers them. The dough recipe makes enough for 2 pizzas as well. I sprinkle a little cornmeal on the bottom too so it gives it that delivery pizza texture. Serve it with a nice salad and dinner is easy and delicious!
Skillet Deep Dish Pizza
- 1 pizza yeast packet
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 3 tablespoons olive oil, plus more for brushing
- 3 3/4 cup flour, plus some for dusting
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1 1/3 cups warm water (120-125 degrees)
- 1 tablespoon cornmeal
- 1 cup of pizza or marinara sauce
- Toppings: Pepperoni, 1 1/2 cups shredded Mozarella cheese
- In the bowl of a stand mixer, mix yeast, sugar, salt, and 2 cups of flour.
- Pour in warm water and olive oil and mix for about a minute. Switch to dough hook and add another cup of flour. Mix until combined again. Add last 3/4 cup of flour and keep mixing until dough starts to pull from sides.
- Remove from bowl (sprinkle dough and hands with a little flour to make this easier). Split dough in half. Reserve one for later use.
- Sprinkle cornmeal into the bottom of the black iron skillet.
- Press dough into pan while spreading it the sides.
- Drizzle a little olive oil on pizza and brush it over dough.
- Add pizza sauce, pepperonis (plus any of your other favorite toppings), and shredded cheese.
- Bake at 450 for about 12-15 minutes or until sides get slightly golden brown.
- Let cool a little before cutting.
Other half of pizza dough can be frozen.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases. This helps us keep our blog running efficiently and allows us to create more recipes for you.
Other recipes you might enjoy:
Grilled Chicken and Bacon Pizza with a Garlic Cream Sauce
Amy @ A Healthy Life For Me says
Pizza is my favorite, and deep dish is my ulitmate favorite. Definitey going to try this on Friday!
Joanie @ ZagLeft says
I love all these pizza recipes, lots of good ones to try! Congrats on the cheer win, I grew up in Slidell (not too far from Baton Rouge) and Baton Rouge is a such pretty place to visit.
Laura O @Petite Allergy Treats says
I love a good deep dish pizza… Congrats on your daughter’s finish! I don’t know how you do it all with 4 kids–Super MOM!
Kacey @ The Cookie Writer says
I have been wanting to make a pizza in my cast-iron pan for some time. Time to get on it!
Nutmeg Nanny says
That is one delicious looking deep dish pie! LOVE!
Ashlyn @ Belle of the Kitchen says
Could your kiddos be any cuter, Jaren?! Seriously! Glad to hear you are able to get a little bit of a break from competition traveling, even though it looks like y’all still had a great time. Good thing your parents were able to come along! Oh, and this pizza is calling my name, even though it’s almost midnight here. I really need to make this because I’ve been needing more recipes for my cast iron skillet, too!
There really is nothing like fresh homemade pizza!!!
Meg @ The Housewife in Training Files says
Oh my word. Your daughter is a doll! And this pizza? Calling my name!
Deb @ Cooking on the Front Burner says
Hi Jaren! Thanks for sharing at Best of the Weekend – being featured tonight! Love this!
Thanks so much Deb!!
Just came across this on Pinterest. I make homemade pizzas for my family too. I like the idea of a skillet pizza, as I have been using 9″ metal cake pans. How big is your skillet? Mine is several inches larger than the cake pans, so I’m trying to determine how much I need to make. Especially since my husband specifically requested my pizza for his birthday and now we’re having dinner guests.
Hi Amber! I use a 10 inch skillet. I love the cake pan idea too!
What’s a good skillet size?
Hi Sarah! I use a 10 inch skillet.