Best Ever Coconut Poke Cake – This recipe uses a doctored up cake mix and one of the best coconut icings ever! Make it ahead and serve it cold! Total dessert goodness!
Have you ever tasted a good old-fashioned coconut cake? La Madeline Cafe has one that I adore! I’ve been on a mission to recreate that cake and that icing, which is just so divine!
Folks, I think I have it right here! It’s not their version because this is a poke cake, of course. It’s just my style…easy peasy! I’m not much for layering cakes anymore, and even though they are beautiful, I tend to go the easy route!
So this recipe starts with a cake mix, but then you doctor it up by adding extra flour, sugar, and some sour cream! Oh yeah! And the icing has butter and cream cheese, so it is sure to please! And it is soaked in cream of coconut!
What makes this the Best Ever Coconut Poke Cake?
- It’s easy!! You start with a white cake mix and then doctor it up a bit!
- It’s soaked with cream of coconut!
- It has a wonderful butter and cream cheese icing that when paired with the cake is next level so good!
- You make it ahead of time, and then just put in the fridge to set up!
Connect with Diary of a Recipe Collector! Follow us on social media, so you never miss a recipe!
- 15 oz box cake mix
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 3/4 tsp salt
- 1 1/3 cups water
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 tsp coconut extract
- 1 cup sour cream
- 4 large egg WHITES
- 15 oz cream of coconut (found with mixed drink mixers)
- 1/3 cup butter, room temperature
- 4 oz cream cheese, room temperature
- 1/2 tsp vanilla
- 1/2 tsp coconut extract
- 4 cups powdered sugar
- 3 to 4 tbsp milk
- 1/2-3/4 cup coconut
- Preheat oven to 325.
- In a mixing bowl, add cake mix, flour, sugar, and salt. Stir.
- Add water, oil, coconut extract, sour cream, and egg whites. Beat well until combined for about 2 minutes.
- Pour into greased baking dish. Bake for 40 to 45 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean.
- While cake bakes, add cream of coconut to a bowl and stir to combine coconut and oil in container.
- Allow cake to cool for about 5 minutes and then poke with fork all over the top. Pour stirred cream of coconut all over the top of cake. Allow cake to cool for an hour.
- Icing: In a mixing bowl, add butter, cream cheese, vanilla, and coconut extract. Beat until smooth. Add powdered sugar a little at a time. Icing will be thick. Add milk 1 tbsp at a time to thin icing a little. Beat in coconut. Spread over cooled cake.
- Store cake in refrigerator a few hours before serving.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases. This helps us keep our blog running efficiently and allows us to create more recipes for you.
Other recipes you might like:
- Triple Lemon Poke Cake
- Best Ever Heath Bar Poke Cake
- Double Mocha Poke Cake
- Pumpkin Toffee Poke Cake
You can find more MAIN DISH RECIPES HERE.
You can find ALL RECIPES HERE.
For more ideas, follow me on FACEBOOK, PINTEREST, INSTAGRAM, AND TWITTER.
Get FREE recipes delivered to you by email: SIGN UP HERE!