Boston Cream Pie Poke Cake – Major crowd-pleasing cake filled with vanilla pudding and sweetened condensed milk and topped with a homemade chocolate frosting!!
Y’all this little cake is one of the best desserts I’ve made in quite a while! I’ve made it twice in the last month, and I plan to make it again next month for a Bible study meeting with my ACTS sisters. I think it has become my new go-to dessert recipe! In fact, my “I’m not much of a sweet eater” husband finished off the first pan I made as you can see from this Instagram picture!
Gosh! I love it when that happens!
Even since childhood, I’ve always loved a good yellow cake with chocolate frosting. It is a true classic winning combo. I used a box cake mix because I’m not all that picky about that sort of stuff, but you could totally use your own homemade yellow cake mix if that is your thing. I figure box mixes are my friend when I add all the other good stuff to the cake anyway.
In the end, you finish it off with a fabulous homemade chocolate icing that is spoon-licking good. Just ask me and my kids!! Chocolate icing is dangerous around these parts!! Like I need to hurry up and put the bowl under water so I don’t keep eating every last morsel of it kind of dangerous!!
I certainly hope you try it for any of your family and friend gatherings. It is such a crowd-pleaser!.
- 1 box yellow cake mix plus ingredients to make cake
- 1 3.5 oz. instant vanilla pudding mix
- 2 cups milk
- 1 14 oz. can sweetened condensed milk
- 1½ sticks butter, softened
- ¾ cup cocoa powder
- ½ cup boiling water
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 5 cups powdered sugar
- Bake cake according to box mix directions in a 13 x 9 pan.
- While cake is in the oven, mix pudding mix with 2 cups of milk. Whisk until combined and let sit for 2 minutes or until thickened. Whisk again for a few seconds.
- Whisk in sweetened condensed milk. MIXTURE WILL BE THINNER THAN PUDDING. THIS IS OKAY SINCE YOU WILL LET IT SET UP IN THE REFRIGERATOR.
- Remove cake from oven and poke several holes with the handle of a wooden spoon.
- Pour pudding mixture all over cake filling all the holes and letting it completely cover the cake. Let it sit until cooled (about 1 hour).
- Make frosting by adding softened butter to a large mixing bowl. Add cocoa powder. Carefully pour in boiling water. Add vanilla and beat for about 1 minute or until combined.
- Gradually add in powdered sugar beating after every few cups added. Beat until smooth.
- Frost cake and refrigerate until ready to serve. BEST REFRIGERATED OVERNIGHT.
**The frosting quantity on this recipe has been reduced from what was previously posted.
Looking for other great crowd-pleasing desserts?