Southwest Shrimp Salad – Grilled shrimp and corn, black beans, diced avocado, and crispy southwest tortilla strips piled onto a bed of green leaf lettuce and topped with a mexi-ranch dressing.
Hello folks! Hope your weekend was a good one. We actually had a pretty relaxing one which was very much needed around here. It seems like we have been gone on the weekends a lot here lately. I even had time to start a new book! This is pretty rare. But I’m really making an effort to read again. I love to read, but since having kids, I do not have much time except before bed. That pretty much means I read 3 sentences and pass out.
But surprisingly, what I have had time for recently is a little binge-watching of Downton Abbey.
Y’all, I cannot even hardly explain to you how much I adored this show. The writing was fabulous, and I was completely obsessed with it for about 3 weeks. I watched all 5 seasons! I ordered them online since you can just watch it from Amazon now. I then passed it along to my mom and sister, who then both became completely obsessed with it as well!
From all this binge-watching, I found myself wanting to speak in a British accent and even had my husband call me “My Lady” because he heard it on the t.v. so much! I must admit that I quite liked that! I even found myself googling British history and the castle where the show was filmed. I’m telling y’all! OBSESSED!
I’m a sucker for anything historical fiction especially in the Victorian era. I’m just fascinated by it!
I’m also a little obsessed with shrimp. If you have read my blog for a period of time, then you probably know that already. Every time I post a shrimp recipe, I wonder if people are thinking, “Man, this girl can eat some shrimp!” My response to that would be, “Why yes, yes, I can!”
This salad is perfect for summer grilling because you grill up the shrimp and the corn. Now I used a little grill basket for the shrimp to make it a little easier. Those things are super nice. You could even do this on an indoor grill as well.
I finished it off with a mexi-ranch sauce. If that is not your thing, just top it with whatever is your favorite kind of dressing.
- 1 lb. medium shrimp
- 1 tsp salt, divided
- 1 tsp McCormick Montreal Steak Seasoning
- A pinch of crushed red pepper flakes
- juice of ½ lime
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 2 ears corn, shucked
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 1 can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 avocado, diced
- green leaf lettuce, chopped
- Southwest tortilla strips (found in produce section with salad toppers)
- 3 tbsp ranch dressing
- 1 tsp chili powder
- ½ tsp cumin
- Add shrimp to a medium-sized bowl. Season shrimp with ½ tsp. salt, steak seasoning, red pepper flakes, lime juice, and chili powder. Sir and set aside.
- Preheat grill to medium-high.
- Brush corn with olive oil and season with salt.
- Grill shrimp over medium-high heat for about 5 minutes or until cooked through. Grill corn over medium-high heat for about 10 minutes or until slightly charred. Let cool slightly. Cut corn off the cobb using a knife.
- In each serving bowl, arrange lettuce, corn, black beans, avocado, shrimp, and tortilla strips.
- For dressing: Mix ranch dressing with chili powder and cumin. Drizzle over salads.