Skillet Covered Burritos – An easy one pot weeknight dinner idea filled with stuffed cheesy enchiladas surrounded in delicious chili gravy.
I love one-pot quick meals, and this Skillet Covered Burritos recipe is my kind of meal! It’s also perfect for busy nights!
What makes this one so unique is that the burritos are filled with cheese and rest in the meat sauce. Serve it with some rice and beans or a green salad and dinner is done!
Even my picky eater ate this one minus the green onions and olives, of course. Cheese is definitely his weakness! Be sure to check out the video for Skillet Covered Burritos below!
How to Make Skillet Covered Burritos:
- Make meat sauce by browning beef and onion and seasoning. Add in cream of mushroom, enchilada sauce, green chiles, and milk and let simmer.
- While sauce simmers, make burritos.
- Nestle burritos in the sauce and top with shredded cheese. Cover and simmer a little longer.
Skillet Covered Burritos
Yield: 4 to 6 servings
Skillet Covered Burritos - An easy one pot weeknight dinner idea filled with stuffed cheesy enchiladas surrounded in delicious chili gravy.
- 1 1b. ground beef
- 1/2 cup onion, diced
- 1 tsp creole seasoning
- 1 can cream of mushroom
- 1 10 oz red enchilada sauce
- 2 tbsp chopped green chiles
- 1/3 cup milk
- 1/2 cup sliced black olives
- 2 1/2 cups shredded cheese ( I used Colby Jack)
- 8 flour tortillas (I prefer burrito size and just trim the ends after rolling)
- Optional: green onions, sour cream
- Suggested Sides: Refried beans, Mexican rice
- Brown ground beef and onions. Drain.
- Stir in cream of mushroom, enchilada sauce, chiles, and milk. Reduce heat, cover, and cook for about 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile prepare your tortillas by filling each with shredded cheese and olives and rolling them up. Once meat sauce has simmered, simply nest the burritos in the sauce, carefully rolling it around to get it mostly coated in the sauce while being careful not to let it open up. Place them seam side down in the pan.
- Cover skillet with lid and cook for another 5 minutes. Top with more cheese, olives, and green onions. Cover again and cook until cheese melts.
- Top each serving with sour cream and some more green onions. Enjoy!
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases. This helps us keep our blog running efficiently and allows us to create more recipes for you.
Rachael Ray 87395 Brights Hard Anodized Nonstick Saute Pan / Frying Pan / Fry Pan - 5 Quart, Gray
Farberware 21982 Dishwasher Safe Nonstick Jumbo Cooker/Saute Pan with Helper Handle - 6 Quart, Red
Paula Deen 16992 Riverbend Nonstick Chicken Frying Pan / Fry Pan / Skillet with Lid and Side Handles - 12.5 Inch, Red
Looking for other recipe ideas?
Quick Creamy Chicken Skillet Burritos
You can find more MAIN DISH RECIPES HERE.
You can find ALL RECIPES HERE.
For more ideas, follow me on FACEBOOK, PINTEREST, INSTAGRAM, AND TWITTER.
Get FREE recipes delivered to you by email: SIGN UP HERE!
Cheryl King says
I haven’t made burritos in a long time, and never in the skillet, but these look so good I might just try! Thanks for sharing on Saturday Night Fever.
Gloria @ Simply Gloria says
Cheese is always my weakness, too! I’m loving this super easy creation…already pinned and want to make soon!
Well I am just so in love with this, I have to feature it during next week’s link-up! Going to make this very soon. We love Mexican/Tex Mex and I always need easy on weeknights.
Thank you for linking with See Ya in the Gumbo. It’s nice to have you stop by and to meet another LA girl!
I found this on Pinterest and made it tonight. I put refried beans in them instead of olives and made the sauce a bit spicier. I made it about as close to recipe as I’m capable of doing. 😉 My family loved it! Thank you so much for such a different and easy new revcipe. 🙂 This will become a standby.
Thanks so much Maureen for letting me know! This is one of my favorite recipes. I love to hear how you changed it up!
I made this and i guess i messed up does not look like the pic help
Hi Stacie! I’m sorry to hear that it did not look like the picture. I read through my directions to make sure they were clear, and I adjusted a few things. Did you roll up the tortillas before putting them in the sauce? They are basically a cheese enchilada covered in a meat sauce.
Nice recipe. Thank you Jaren.
I was thinking about putting the ground beef inside the burritos with the cheese. Do you think that would be ok?
Hi Raquel! It would be fine to do that. I love cheese enchiladas and my hubby likes meat, so we both win with this one since the meat sauce is still there and can be put on top. Plus, the enchiladas cook in the sauce. Thanks for visiting!
So I made it tonite using shredded chicken inside the burritos instead of ground beef in the sauce. It was very good!! My whole family liked it. Definitely a keeper but next time I am going to put a layer of refried beans inside with the cheese and chicken, then put some avocado slices on top before serving. Very good, thanks for sharing!
I love your idea of using shredded chicken Raquel!! Thanks for visiting!!
You’re welcome! I am making them again tonite. This time I am going to put some fresh spinach in with the shredded chicken and put the beans on the side. Thanks for sharing this recipe. It’s awesome and so versatile!
These look amazing. Did you use corn or flour tortillas?
Hi Angela! I use flour tortillas. Thanks for visiting!
Max Howard says
This sounds delicious! I was making out my grocery list, so I will add what I need to try this.
Thanks Max!! I hope you love it! It is one of my favorites!