So today is our last day of summer vacation. I wish I could say we will spend it outside letting the kids play all day, but that would be a big NO. It is sweltering the last few weeks. Yesterday, we had a ton of errands to go run, and it was so hot, I had to come home and change into something cooler. You know it’s hot when I have that problem because I am normally so cold-natured.
My husband picks on me all the time because I don’t like it to be below 75 outside because I get cold. I know…could I be more of a weenie? But seriously, the heat index this week is like 110 degrees.
We’ve got about one more month of this heat. #comeonfall
Here’s hoping no hurricanes head our way either. September is the peak season for them, so we always get a little nervous.
So as we wait this heat wave out and look forward to cooler casserole-making weather, I want to share this fabulous Mexican Lasagna with you all. It was delicious! It’s perfect for company too. Normally, I make casseroles and end up freezing the last few servings for busy nights during the school year. It works out perfectly. Serve it with a green salad and some of these great Vidalia Onion Cornbread Muffins.
- 1½ lb. ground sirloin
- 1½ tsp. creole seasoning
- 2 tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 8 oz. can tomato sauce
- 1 14.5 oz. can diced tomatoes
- 1 4 oz. can diced green chiles
- 1 14.5 oz can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 cup water
- 16 oz. container of cottage cheese
- 3½ to 4 cups shredded Colby Jack cheese
- ½ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp pepper
- 1 egg
- 1 tbsp cilantro, plus more for garnish
- 9 lasagna noodles, uncooked
- Sliced black olives for topping (optional)
- In a large pot, season ground sirloin with creole seasoning, chili powder, and cumin and brown.
- Add tomato sauce, diced tomatoes, black beans, green chiles, and water. Simmer over medium heat for about 10 minutes. Taste to season again. Turn off heat.
- Mix cottage cheese, 1 cup shredded cheese, 1 egg, salt and pepper, and cilantro in a bowl.
- Spray 9 x 13 casserole dish with cooking oil spray.
- Add 1½ cups sauce to bottom of casserole dish and spread out evenly.
- Top with 3 uncooked noodles
- Top with ⅓ of remaining meat sauce, ½ of cottage cheese mixture, 1 cup shredded cheese
- Repeat with 3 more noodles, meat sauce, last ½ of cottage cheese, and shredded cheese.
- Top with last 3 noodles, last ⅓ of meat sauce and more shredded cheese.
- Cover with foil sealing edges tightly. Bake at 350 for 50 minutes. Uncover and bake for 5 to 10 minutes more. *You may want to place casserole dish on a sheet pan in case any sauce bubbles over.
- Top with sliced olives and cilantro. Allow to cool about 10 minutes before cutting and serving.
Looking for other great recipes?