I’m a huge pepperoni pizza fan. Pizza is just one of those foods that I have a lot of trouble resisting. It is my biggest food weakness. That love affair with pizza also crosses over to anything dealing with pepperoni and cheese. Especially when it involves bread…my other weakness.
This is a pepperoni and cheese calzone, basically, made with frozen bread dough. I just have a thing for stuffed bread as you can see from this post.
It is such a quick and easy way to make a calzone and the dough is so forgiving. No worrying about yeast and kneading. Just thaw it out a few hours before dinner or in the fridge overnight, stuff it, and dinner is done!
This recipe will make two calzones, which can easily be shared between two people with a side salad. Your kids will love it too! That’s always nice when that happens.
Start off by layering your pepperoni and sliced mozzarella. I used about 20 pepperonis on the bottom and 3 slices of cheese.
Add some more pepperoni, followed by dollops of cottage cheese and a little more sliced mozzarella.
Seal it up and place seam side down, cut some slits to vent, and add seasonings.
Pepperoni and Cheese Stuffed Bread
- 1 loaf frozen bread dough (thawed)
- 1 bag of sliced pepperoni
- 7 slices mozzarella cheese, divided
- 4 heaping tbsp cottage cheese
- 1 jar of pizza sauce
- 1 tsp Italian seasoning, divided
- 2 tsp olive oil, divided
- Roasted red bell peppers (found in jar near pickles)
- Roma tomatoes
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Cut dough in half. Working with one half, flatten it out by pulling and stretching the dough until it is about 9 inches wide.
- Put a generous layer of pepperoni almost to the edge of dough.
- Put down three slices of cheese.
- Add another layer of pepperoni.
- Add two dollops of cottage cheese and just another half of mozzarella.
- Pull up sides of dough and press together to seal.
- Place it seam-side down. Brush with a teaspoon of olive oil and a 1/2 tsp of seasoning. Cut three slits to vent.
- Lift up and spray a little cooking spray underneath the dough.
- Repeat with other dough.
- Bake for about 25 minutes or until golden brown.
- Top with roasted red bell pepper slices and sliced Roma tomatoes. Serve with pizza sauce.
To make the perfect supper, serve with nice salad. Try this salad dressing recipe:
cindy harris says
I love the addition of cottage cheese. Looks yummy.
It does make it so good! Thanks Cindy!
Betsy | JavaCupcake.com says
This is a great idea!!! 🙂
I loved this!! I did fresh french bread instead, scraping out most of the extra bread. I layered with pepperoni and salami. I loved the cottage cheese too!! Thanks for an awesome idea!!
Hi Christina! I’m so glad you enjoyed it! Thanks for visiting!