I don’t usually like recipes with a really long name. It makes me think they are going to be overly complicated, and I just don’t have time for that anymore with three little ones. I really wanted to title this post GRILLED BACON, CHEDDAR, & APPLE SANDWICHES WITH ROASTED RED ONION MAYO, but do you see what I mean about it sounding overly complicated??
My point is…these are super EASY! If you’ve never tried an apple on any sort of grilled cheese, you’ve got to try it. They go great together! The red onion mayo gives it that extra special something, and my hubby even likes it! (He hates mayo!)
Adapted from Paula Deen
1 sourdough loaf, sliced for sandwiches
1 package of bacon
1/2 granny smith apple, thinly sliced
1 red onion, diced
3/4 tbsp to 1 tbsp olive oil
salt and pepper
1 cup mayo
1. Begin by making roasted red onions: Spread diced onion on sheet pan and drizzle with olive oil using about 3/4 tbsp. If you need a little more add another little drizzle. Sprinkle a little salt and pepper and toss carefully to combine. Roast at 400 degrees for 15 minutes.
2. Cook bacon in skillet until crisp. Drain on paper towel.
3. Slice sourdough into 1/4 in. thick slices for sandwiches.
4. Remove onions from oven. In a bowl, combine the roasted onions with 1 cup of mayo.
5. Assemble the sandwiches: Spread mayo on each side of bread. Top with bacon, sliced cheddar, and apple slices (as many as you prefer). Top with other side of bread.
6. Butter the outside of the sandwich and grill in a skillet over medium heat until golden brown on each side.*