Baked Spaghetti – Layers of homemade meat sauce, angel hair pasta and cheese make this the perfect spaghetti! It’s great for company too!
- 2 pounds ground beef
- 1 onion, diced
- 1/2 bell pepper, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 2 cans diced tomatoes
- 2 15 oz. cans tomato sauce
- 1 cup water
- 3/4 tsp dried parsley
- 3/4 tsp dried oregano
- 3/4 tsp dried basil
- 2 tsp creole seasoning, divided
- 3 to 4 tsp sugar, depending on your preference
- 2 small bay leaves
- 16 oz. angel hair pasta
- 1 1/2 cups cheddar, shredded and divided into thirds
- 1 1/2 cups jack cheese, shredded and divided into thirds
- In a large pot, brown the ground beef, 1 tsp creole seasoning, onions, bell peppers, and garlic.
- Add in the diced tomatoes, tomato sauce, water, parsley, oregano, basil, remaining 1 tsp creole seasoning, sugar, and bay leaves.
- Bring to boil and reduce to a simmer, covered for about an hour. Shortly before this is finished, boil the angel hair until it is just barely done and drain.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and assemble the spaghetti in a 9 x 13 casserole dish. Begin by covering the bottom with sauce. Add 1/2 of the angel hair, and top with a third of the cheddar and a third of the jack cheese. Repeat with half of the remaining sauce, rest of angel hair, next third of cheeses, rest of sauce.
- Bake in oven for 30 minutes, uncovered.
- Top with remaining cheese and bake an additional 5 minutes.
- Let sit for about 10 minutes before serving.
*This recipe can be halved easily. You can also split it between two smaller casserole dishes and freeze one of them prior to baking.
*Adapted from Paula Deen